Moon Garden


Harvest Moon

Watching a pockmarked orange
edge westward in the sky,
I recall how I used to call the moon
my mother in my whimsical youth.
On my moon mother’s face I would
wish for love, for comfort,
intangibles longed for by most
of mankind who live a life short
of extremity. The few wishes
that came true came true for a brief
time. One harvest after another
I consumed what I had grown
in the garden of my brain, a desire,
an illusion, a phantom, which, when
plucked, tasted briefly delectable,
sweeter by far than marmalade.
                            --James Kangas


Autumn Moon

Wasn't that a garden of immortality beyond clothes,
To make up faces and places of words
amid the world and forget ourselves,
giving away for kissing, for clapping, for loving,

the outer world thrown back,
returned from years of absence
to know this place by the door,
no matter what we imagined?
                             --AE Reiff

No comments:

Post a Comment